Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Upping the stakes

Here’s my definition of commitment:
If you don’t achieve your objective, someone will cut off your hand.
This definition sounds harsh. It is harsh. It draws a gasp at seminars. I never use it unless someone starts blaming others for something when, in fact, the problem would be solved by a little higher commitment from the person doing the complaining.
For instance, one participant insisted she had done all the right things, and the “other guy” was consistently late on a report due to her every Thursday by 5 p.m. The “other guy,” in this case, was a co-worker in another department of her company, and she depended on his information. When asked what she did about the late report, she said, “Well, I call him Friday morning and really chastise him for not turning in the report.” She was someone who prefers to have reasons for not getting a job done rather than doing whatever it takes to get it done. That’s when I stated my definition of commitment and asked her, “What if your hand is cut off at 5:01 on Thursday if you don’t have the report from him?” Her demeanor changed. The good solutions flew fast and furious. “I might tell him that the report was due Wednesday. Not only would I tell him it was due Wednesday, but I would probably be a lot nicer to him. I would probably want to know who was in charge of the material for his report in case he died before 5 on Thursday. I would visit his office, ask about his kids, and make sure that the material for my report is in a fireproof filing cabinet.” If the stakes are high enough, you will change your behavior, even if it means taking extra steps — that’s commitment. Even with the people who seem most impossible, you can get what you want if you are committed to getting results.

No comments: